Panama-flagged tanker Idemitsu Maru, carrying 2 million barrels of Saudi oil, crossed the St
rait of Hormuz, LSEG shipping data showed on Tuesday, becoming the first Japan-linked crude tanker to do so since the Iran war began.
Before the U.S.-Iran conflict broke out on February 28 and disrupted Middle East crude oil and l
iquefied natural gas supplies, Japan relied on the region for 95% of its oil imports, much of it coming via the Strait of Hormuz.
The move comes as Japan’s recent diplomatic efforts to safeguard energy supplies were disrupted by the war.
Earlier in April, the Sohar LNG tanker co-owned by Japan’s Mitsui O.S.K. Lines and the Mitsui-owned LPG tanker, Green Sanvi, crossed the strait.
Idemitsu Maru, a very large crude carrier (VLCC), is managed by a unit of Japanese refiner Idemitsu Kosan.
Idemitsu Kosan declined to comment on individual ships.
The vessel was 30 kilometers (18.6 miles) east of Larak Island and moving eastward with its Automatic Identification System active, separate data from MarineTraffic showed.
Hormuz Traffic Stays Muted
Between 125 and 140 ships crossed in and out of the strait daily before February 28, but se
ven had sailed in the past day, including a general cargo ship Gulf King that sailed from Iran’s Bandar Ab
See more beautiful photo albums Here >>>
bas anchorage and the Axion I liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) tanker, which is subject to US sanctions, a
ccording to Kpler ship-tracking data and satellite analysis from SynMax.
Other vessels included dry bulk ships and a chemical tanker, SynMax analysis showed.
An LNG tanker managed by UAE’s ADNOC crossed Hormuz and was near India, ship-tracking
data showed on Monday. If confirmed, it would be the first loaded LNG tanker to cross the strait sinc
e the war began. It was unclear when it sailed.
If Hormuz were to reopen by “tomorrow, we suggest that it will take until at least September for ta
nker and oil markets to return to something resembling ‘normal,'” ship broker BRS said in a note this week.
U.S. President Donald Trump is unhappy with the latest Iranian proposal on resolving the tw
o-month war, a U.S. official said, dampening hopes for a resolution soon.
(Reporting by Katya Golubkova, Kentaro Okasaka, Kantaro Komiya and Mariko Katsumura in Tokyo,
Florence Tan in Singapore and Jonathan Saul in London; editing by Bernadette Baum)





































